School Nutrition » Free and Reduced Breakfast and Lunch

Free and Reduced Breakfast and Lunch



Those who are unsure if their student(s) are eligible should complete the form. Only one application is needed per household and all information will remain private and confidential. Beginning July 1, 2022, the application will be available online at Paper copies will be available upon request. Families receiving SNAP and/or TANF food assistance are eligible for free meals, however, these families are still encouraged to complete and submit the application by the July 22 deadline

The following meal costs will be applied beginning with the 2022-2023 school year:

  • Breakfast – $1.50
  • Lunch – $2.85
  • Reduced Cost Breakfast – $0.30
  • Reduced Cost Lunch – $0.40
  • Adult Breakfast – $2.00
  • Adult Lunch – $3.75

These prices are a continuation of what was previously charged prior to meals being served at no cost. A la carte items will be sold separately where available.

By completing the application, students deemed eligible for free or reduced meals may also become eligible for a variety of scholarship opportunities as well as waivers and/or reductions in application or exam fees such as the SAT, ACT or AP exams, among others.

For more information about the Free and Reduced meal applications and eligibility, or to view a list of Frequently Asked Questions and their answers, parents and guardians are encouraged to visit

Children need healthy meals to learn. The Columbia County School District offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.50; lunch costs $2.85. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. The reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. This packet includes an application for free or reduced-price meal benefits and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

  1. Who can get free or reduced-price meals?
    • All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP or TANF are eligible for free meals.
    • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible
      for free meals.
    • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
    • Children may receive free or reduced-price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.


Household size




































Each Additional Person





  1. How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or email your school social worker or email [email protected]

  2. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to Kristi Weaver at the Columbia County School District central office, located at 4781 Hereford Farm Rd., Evans, GA 30809.  

  3. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals? No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Kristi Weaver, at [email protected], or call 706-541-0650 immediately.
  4. Can I apply online? Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Visit to begin or to learn more about the online application process.
    Contact [email protected] if you have any questions about the online application.

  5. My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?   Applications are only valid for one school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school district or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.
  6. I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please send in an application.

  7. Will the information I give be checked? We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

  8. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? You may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced-price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

  9. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Penny Jackson, at [email protected], or Alex Casado at [email protected], or address correspondence to Penny Jackson or Alex Casado, Columbia County School District, 4781 Hereford Farm Rd., Evans, GA 30809.

  10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced-price meals.

  11. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

  12. What if some household members have no income to report? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank as we will assume you meant to do so.

  13. We are in the military. Do we report our income differently? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

  14. What if there isn’t enough space on the application for my family? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper and attach it to your application. Contact Kristi Weaver, at [email protected], or by calling 706-541-9402, to receive a second application.

  15. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-877-423-4746.

If you have other questions or need help, contact Kristi Weaver, [email protected] or 706-541-9402.  

Attention Parents:
If your student transferred from a CEP or Provision II School System, please contact Mrs. Kristi Weaver at (706) 541-9402 Ext. 5373 or [email protected]