CCSD Coronavirus Response: School Year 2021-2022
Schools are an important part of the infrastructure of communities and play a critical role
in supporting the whole child, not just their academic achievement.
– Centers for Disease Control, July 2020
According to the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) recent COVID-19 guidance for schools, districts must expect cases of the virus in communities. Careful studies of international experiences reveal that even when schools carefully coordinate, plan, and prepare, cases will still occur within the community and its schools. Based on this understanding, the Columbia County School District has created protocols to help school officials consistently respond to reports of confirmed positive cases by quickly isolating and quarantining students as recommended by the CDC.
As part of our agreement to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we commit to the following actions:
- Isolate confirmed individuals from school for a minimum of 10 days and until symptom-free for at least 24 hours.
- Identify employees and/or students who may have been in close or direct contact with a confirmed positive person and notify those employees and parents of those students. If employees or parents do not receive a call or letter, then the employee or child was not directly exposed or did not have close contact as defined by the CDC guidelines.
- Quarantine for 14 days individuals who have been determined to be in close or direct contact with a confirmed positive person.
Each Friday, the district will post by school the total number of students and school personnel confirmed with positive COVID-19 test results that week. See the following chart and related information for the latest numbers.
Numbers for the week ending, May 21, 2021:Total Number of Students Enrolled in Columbia County Schools (Excluding elementary Learn from Home students) - 25,466
- Total number of students with a current positive COVID-19 status - 3
- Percent of total students with a current positive COVID-19 status – less than one percent (actual number: .01%)
Total Number of School District Employees - 3,501
- Number of employees with a current positive COVID-19 status - 1
- Percent of total employees with a current positive COVID-19 status - less than one percent (actual number: .03%)